Online Users

In total there are 310 users online :: 1 registered, 0 hidden and 309 guests

Most users ever online was 1091 on Wed Aug 16, 2023 5:27 pm

Registered users: Google [Bot] based on users active over the past 60 minutes

A Bit Off Topic But How Far?

Moderator: Integra Moderator

A Bit Off Topic But How Far?

PostAuthor: MWE_001 » Fri Dec 28, 2018 9:12 am

So just rambling here but as we all know, SEO is a major deal now a days. So we all ponder what platform or method to use to get the best results.

I find it sad to see so many people jumping ship and going with strictly all WordPress. WordPress is a great platform and no one can deny that fact. I believe it was MUCH better before when the community had control of it. Now that it is a money grab, well, let's look at the newly introduced Gutenberg, YUCK!!!! Strictly my own opinion. However, what WordPress has done that no other platform has is introduce SEO friendly URLs (permalinks). Take this for example:

Would a bot rather look for your key words in this: https://www.xxxxxxx.com/wp/youre-just-blowing-smoke/

or e107 style for example (not so URL SEO friendly) : https://www.arabeska.sk/nasa-historia

or phpbb.com's method: https://blog.phpbb.com/2018/09/16/to-the-future/ (notice there blog posts only appear on 1 page .. cheaters :D

and

(index) https://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtop ... &t=2489651

Integramod: http://www.integramod.com/forum/viewtop ... orum+block

SEO is a very big deal. You can easily see why WordPress is leaving everyone behind. The issue is they are also alienating their user base as well. People have been screaming about Gutenberg and it has fallen on deaf ears. It is garbage. It is specifically for content creators not content developers. I can not wait to see WordPress lose half it's Users because of this. It used be the Platform of Platforms back before money became the norm. Now that the money matters, the users do not. BUT they have perfected SEO and search bots love them, where as everyone else has fallen behind. Look at the links above and figure out how to make search bots figure it out.

Now I am not Mr Wizard by any stretch of the imagination but I would think search bots would much rather like something like the first set of permalinks verses all the rest of the examples I posted. Now I am not bashing anyone over the virtual head. I happen to think e107 is pretty close to a real nice platform. phpBB is what it is, a forum, plain and simple. It is not a platform. Integramod falls into the forum as well since it is built on phpBB. I am curious though how e107 can come close to nice permalinks and WordPress can nail them down and phpBB with all their endless supplies of developers can not get a permalink? That to me just makes absolutely no sense at all. I believe if phpBB could get it down then so could we here at Integramod. That alone would lead to bigger and better things. That and responsive templates as everyone is mobile (except my old geezer self) :lol:

Notice I have not mentioned the pay to play forums. my pockets are not deep enough to test them out and I do not torrent nor do I suggest anyone attempt to do it or talk about it here at Integramod. 8)

Just my $0.02 worth :-) Happy New Year to all!

**PLEASE NOTE**
The e107 link is to what would be compared to one of our (Integramod) Portal pages. The website I grabbed the link from did not have the forum plugin installed. If needs be I can install e107 to see how their forum plugin links to posts.

**EDIT AGAIN**

Ok here goes. This is a test board that I am sure will not be around for very long. Notice the link to the forum? it is still kind of long and drawn out but kind of key word..ish I suppose. I edited out the domain just because.
http://xxxxxxxx.com/e107/forum/general- ... is-a-test/
"Don't gain the world and lose your soul, wisdom is better than silver and gold" -Bob Marley

If you build it, I can break it! ~ Whispered in the tone of the movie Field of Dreams.
MWE_001
Sr Integra Member
Sr Integra Member

Liked in: 0 post
Cash on hand: 0.00

Re: A Bit Off Topic But How Far?

PostAuthor: Vendethiel » Sat Dec 29, 2018 5:03 am

Quick question before I make a more thorough reply (I need to investigate your links):
Have you had phpBB SEO installed on your forum at some point? It turned links into nicer URLs, and I seem to remember it had an anti-duplicate URLs (all possible links redirected to a canon form).

Vendethiel
Administrator
Administrator

Cash on hand: 60.00

PostAuthor: MWE_001 » Sat Dec 29, 2018 7:05 pm

Well, no I never did. When I was really running the hell out of phpBB modded boards or premods such as Integramod, I really never put a second thought to it because it was cool and exciting. I never thought of running a website for a purpose and possibly to help supplement an income with. It was all fun and games back then (AMOD, phpBB Arcade, AD&R, Rabbitoshi, etc) and some chat in between on the index and good old My Profile Space Mod even.

Fast forward now some many years later and older age is setting in and games are a by product of life now, things are much different. Now I am looking at various things like what is a good CMS and what is not. WordPress is an awesome blog and can be a great CMS but really to some, it is a PITA to use as a CMS and is just to much where as a Integramod or a simpler version IM Portal would be much more suitable for that matter. It just really surprises me that WordPress, Drupal and e107 --> (kinda sorta) build SEO in default and good old phpBB is leaving it's users behind by still having them install plugins and mods.

So in that respect, if something was built in to make it work default and not install anything extra, that would be the icing on the cake. Now I understand that with us using version 2.x that a mod would still be a necessary thing. That is understandable in every fashion. I am generally thinking out loud for the sake of phpBB 8)

As far as them having full responsive templates still not really available, that is shocking. I know there is one payware one that is BBoots or something like that and there was one trying to get started called ComBoots (Might be the same guys ??). I am a member of the beta team for one of them on Git and the template was clean and nice but with bugs.
"Don't gain the world and lose your soul, wisdom is better than silver and gold" -Bob Marley

If you build it, I can break it! ~ Whispered in the tone of the movie Field of Dreams.
MWE_001
Sr Integra Member
Sr Integra Member

PostAuthor: Helter » Sun Dec 30, 2018 5:57 am

MWE_001 wrote:As far as them having full responsive templates still not really available, that is shocking. I know there is one payware one that is BBoots or something like that and there was one trying to get started called ComBoots (Might be the same guys ??). I am a member of the beta team for one of them on Git and the template was clean and nice but with bugs.

are you referring to phpbb3.x? There are many responsive styles for 3.x versions. Here are a few http://www.colorizeit.com/browse/4/phpb ... tyles.html
Always use Protection

Please do not PM for support
Helter
Administrator
Administrator

Cash on hand: 172.60
IntegraMOD version: IM 3

PostAuthor: MWE_001 » Sun Dec 30, 2018 11:03 am

I did some more digging around last night and there are a bit more than I thought (templates). Glad to see phpBB community is catching up. I always felt the community was way to large to lag behind the way that it was for a good while thus part of the main reason for my initial post.

I do enjoy using WordPress but as far as a all around CMS and index goes, I would rather use something like we have had here for years on end and something like Icy Phoenix. As a point of sales system and a blog, WordPress is hands down the master, but IMO it is a pain to use sometimes for newbies. I had a major issue learning it.

MWE_001
Sr Integra Member
Sr Integra Member

PostAuthor: Vendethiel » Sun Dec 30, 2018 1:31 pm

Seems like phpbb-seo community has disappeared. I wonder why.

They made the mod pretty much everyone had, that transformed URLs to `topic-{ID}.html` and `forum-{ID}.html` etc.

Icy Phoenix has it if you want a demo, it needs to be enabled manually though.

Vendethiel
Administrator
Administrator

PostAuthor: MWE_001 » Mon Dec 31, 2018 12:08 pm

That is interesting. I never knew Icy had such a thing. I was going to try another install of it tomorrow. Got my server fresh and clean and ready to roll.

MWE_001
Sr Integra Member
Sr Integra Member

PostAuthor: Vendethiel » Tue Jan 01, 2019 11:53 am

It's in Preferences > SEO > URL Rewrite (the first one).

Needs ModRewrite installed on Apache.

Vendethiel
Administrator
Administrator

PostAuthor: MWE_001 » Tue Jan 01, 2019 2:47 pm

Nice. I will have to take a look at it. Thanks!

MWE_001
Sr Integra Member
Sr Integra Member

Return to Off Topic